Thursday, 23 June 2011

TOWARDS THE SONNET

Author’s Notes : Recently I was invited to consider the ‘Sonnet’ form of poetry. Some say 
One cannot know how satisfying, how pleasant, and even how liberating the sonnet can be until its tried. Well, before the trying, as usual I’ve done a little scouting and here record by initial thoughts… I was particularly impressed by Keats “On the Sonnet” (1848) and Millay’s sonnet about writing sonnets…

Be fully restrain’d not little song or contract.
Nor full accept impediments designed on Sonnet’s errect.  
For twill be ere Promethean grounded as in the shelled sound of Haiku. 
Sing instead also on the ragged edges of sweetheart’s mantle, 
For Andromeda’s  bonded heart too soon dissolves loosens and cracks.
Still, Keat’s enterprise tis a shining gem of crucibled loveliness penned.       
By setting out to assay and with ear’s inner augur detect,
Where stacked in halls and alleys, secreted tensions promoted do play.
So too I would in quest comandeer and use all wiles recruited,
Making their might and contrasted beauty coalesce in steam and fire! 
Oh to craft from hewn wood and embroider with deep forest creeper, 
Odes to stir and calm on the boundary, yet allowing her wreaths of her own.
Pressing compressed passions, that refracted, do amplify constrained desire. 
For Muses sake and raiments brighter , come then let’s cast nets still deeper. 


No comments:

Post a Comment