Thursday, 23 June 2011

A ME A DE REAL AFRICAN!

Author’s Notes : I just don’t seem to have the same attitude and ‘tolerance’ for certain things I did when I was younger…Recently I heard for the umpteenth time how thought being a ‘Blackman’ I was
Ignorant of ‘commonsense’ knowledge/culture available to the ‘real African’. For the first time I spoke my mind to the two ‘Africans’  present. They seemed to listen with a mixture of curiosity, acknowledgement, and disdain! Neither made any verbal response to what I said. They just went on with the conversation as if I was not there! …Still, I felt better..Therapy and Poetry hmmm…




But starrap! A Nuh me a de real African ?
Wen me check it, me see it clear 
Spewing from my pew an stirring me stew me see it!
Mek me tell yuh dis… 

There is a certain kind of people under the sun 
Who seem to belive that their view
Of the universe is the only one                                                                         
And with apparent astonishment
Respond when anyone is ‘deviant’
Even over things seemingly trivial
Such as a stretchy piece of cloth used as loofah                        
Or over the Knowledge and use of Yam 
Especially if you are supposedly from Africa
Well, mek me tell yuh dis…Me a de real African          

Taken on ship and flung to deep
If life drained and the body within quit
Seared and nailed whipped and worked dry
An abused and dying expendable flesh tool    
Somehow I survived and am I now to hear & feel    
Your absuse & your ignorant spilling blades too?

You may sneer bout how yuh maada tongue
Was not ripped from its nest and join
The Overseer in condescension’s groove.
Still the language of survival courses through
Veins which have been pumped full
Of hell and yet survive…stamped in African

Your water may be wetter ,
Your wine sweeter, 
Your blood maybe blacker…
But it cant Blacker than the flagons I spilt
And juiced and clotted in the great Maafa
Stop yuh obfuscating rap though it be spoken
With eloquent and disdainful skill
Cause a me a de real African!        


No comments:

Post a Comment