Thursday, 23 June 2011

THE SMILE

Author’s Note : At last!...On Weds 23rd of March 2011 I read “Siren’s of Alarm” by Jediallday. In his “Authors Notes” he wrote “Someone please put a smile upon my face” …That got me thinking about ‘Smiles” …Eventually I’ve got round to pinning something down on paper…I found it more challenging than I initially thought it would be to write about this using the voice of poetry…

                                                            

Its origins original, some say from without, others from within             
Still more others say a little closer home from just above the chin.
On presentation’s stage, fleeting a moment’s dance and play in time 
And dashing leave imprints splashing play of sunlight roaming,
Journeying still, working its way along nerves red, orange and lime

Quite unlike a predator, not like tyrannosaurus rex or a velocaraptor          
Still, it starts with a narrow eyed creep and slides at end with a dash.
Its quarry it would catch, its prey in the end it beams at with a grin

Not red in tooth at Nature’s design and claw nor seeking raw meet
Its Intent relievingly warm and benign, friendly feelings is the sign!
The smile itself elusive and unused to being sketched and snapped
This creature continues to evade and awaits Orion to make capture.

Types of smile there are two,
We know which is the biz and real.
There’s the manicured Pan Am Splash, 
Being merely polite and beguiling for cash.
From seven till five thirty we understand
These honeys are part of the crew,
Beaming towards the lovely money. 
On demand, busily that’s what they do.                   

Then there’s the smile that’s not phoney, that’s genuine
Duchene it’s called after him
Who said it showed real spontaneous emotion
Produced by Obicu- laris Oris in Symphony
With the Zygomatics Major band in Harmony.
What?! Seriously! I kid you not. It augurs well…Let’s see how it turns out 

“Zygomatics Major” and “Obicularis Oris”then,
The two groups of facial muscles around the eyes and the mouth
They collaborate producing a smile that’s real,
The one felt under skin, no phoney face cracker,
It’s the bona fide McCoy a proper dream heart felt
Its rays radiating high from cheeks puffed at the treasure
Words of greeeting cueing with Jack Horner’s plum
And attending their briefing on curled mouth corners
While crows alight with Smiling eyes.

Bands in Concert - rippling fine, radiating                 
Reaching out across - the stranger line

Dispelling Cumulo Nimbus with a puff
And driving with arches of raiment’s emotions
Rays and Fair-weather clouds and days of Sunburst       
Gleaming in splendid garments and apparelled against grey   
Adorning Laughter, Love, Pleasure, Amusement & sibling Hysteria!
Universal language, it’s true, along with Sadness,
Anger, Disgust, Fear, Surprise, and Happiness’s glue
All there bulwarked in their shades, permutations and hues   
Smile and the whole world refractions angled back at you!         

Muscles in Melody flowing strong conducting energy 
Touching the embrace of friends & lovers inside the gate

There’s a time and place for everything
Yet the smiling season’s nearly always in. 
Before the flash of the reaper perhaps grim
Lets contest and rival to see who can stretch the most!
There’s plenty of places to practice stretching our faces!
For maybe when we are gone
Our smile Cheshire like still hangs lingering
And whispering whistfully in the air whence 
We once gleamed…

Orchestra’s in Rhythm pulling full convecting love’s wine
Circling within the greener bays of the the family mansion 

Maybe over a brew to mend the bruise and drink from reunion’s cup
In the raucous moments of a shared joke from laughter’s platter
In the teasing that only they know how to tweak and worry so!

Counter currents in Symphony pulling full wide
Searching inside lights private musings

Popsicles in reflective or in pregnant mood
Showering bliss in solitudes’s inward canopy
Frozen in photo or lightly in Stone curled          
They endure but the smile I like to see       
Best of all is yours.
Though all out door storms and rages, your smile can
Inner fears and doubts assuage. When I see it I know
The lighthouse of Pharos stands calm within its glow.  

One modern Commenter has Sagely opined
Smiling is the cheapest form of Charity
Point taken in context and in this let it be said
I want you to keep smiling at me till I am dead!

PS : Meaning not to tease, dear reader if you please,
If you think my feeble attempts at wit and to sketch the smile,
Are not quite it, though in part I am inclined to agree, 
Then along with Frankie Howard I, with pouted mouth
And head tilted to a high degree, disdainfully reply, then
Please yourselves, please yourseves! 

No comments:

Post a Comment